Skip to main content

Disputes and complaints

Stories from defence members and veterans as well as families of veterans who have died by suicide will contribute to a greater understanding of the systemic issues. However, the National Commissioner does not resolve disputes between individuals and the Department of Defence, Department of Veteran’s Affairs or other government agencies. These are matters for the prospective departments and the Commonwealth Ombudsman.

The Commonwealth Ombudsman offers a free independent complaint-handling service for serving and ex-serving defence members. The Ombudsman can receive complaints about administrative actions taken by Defence relating to or arising from present or past service including a promotion, a demotion, discharge, postings, housing and allowances or other matters affecting service. More information about the services of the Commonwealth Ombudsman can be found by visiting